Choosing the right contractor when you convert to natural gas heat or upgrade your heating system will help you enjoy all the value natural gas offers. Selecting a qualified, reputable contractor is very important. This guide will help you ask the right questions.
- Look for a contractor who has an established business.
- Ask if the contractor both services and installs the equipment.
- Determine if the contractor provides 24-hour emergency service.
- Inquire about any training the installers and service technicians receive as well as the amount and type of experience the technicians who will install your equipment have.
- Confirm your contractor is licensed, bonded and insured.
- Your contractor should be professional, prompt and courteous.
- Ask the contractor for references from former customers and be sure to check them.
- Ask your contractor to do a heat-loss analysis by measuring your home to determine the appropriate furnace size.
- Your contractor should be able to tell you if your heat delivery system is in good working order and adequate for your heating needs.
- A good contractor can tell you how efficeintly your home is weatherized.
- Quality equipment should provide years of dependable service and be backed by the manufacturer's and/or contractor's warranty.
- Obtain a written proposal that clearly outlines the work to be done and the agreed price.
- Read the contract and ask questions about any points you do not understand.
- Ask how long you have to cancel the contract, and what the costs or penalties are for doing so.
If you have any questions, call New Jersey Natural Gas at 800-221-0051 (at the prompt say: Natural Gas Conversion) or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.