When using natural gas appliances, remember to keep the following in mind:
- Never use your oven or range top to heat your home.
- Natural gas fireplaces and space heaters are meant for added warmth, not a main source of heating. Remember to turn these appliances off before you go to bed or leave your home.
- Your natural gas appliances should have a clear, steady blue flame. A yellow or orange flame may indicate a problem. Call for service right away if you think there’s a problem with your equipment.
- If you wish to insulate your natural gas water heater, please be sure to choose an insulation blanket manufactured specifically for natural gas water heaters.
- Change the filter on your furnace a minimum of every three months. Dust and pet hair can collect and block the air flow.
- Never attach electrical grounding wires to natural gas piping inside or outside your house. Consult with a licensed electrician.
- Keep the area around your furnace and water heater clear.