Public and private fleet operators across America rely on a wide variety of vehicles powered by clean, economical, abundant and domestically produced natural gas. The natural gas vehicle (NGV) industry represents a growing network of companies that utilize and support natural gas fleets in part due to:
- Lower fuel costs
- Maintenance costs equal to or less than gasoline or diesel
- Cost advantages that improve with federal tax credits
- Cleaner and quieter vehicles
- Broad range of NGV models from light to heavy-duty
NGVs are a perfect fit for fleet operators since the mileage they travel is often somewhat predictable and private fueling stations can be erected onsite to accommodate the fleets’ needs.
But remember, NGV’s are a good fit for many applications. Currently, the largest sector using NGVs in the United States is the transit sector, where more than 11,000 buses powered by compressed natural gas (CNG) and liquefied natural gas (LNG) account for 12 percent of the market.
Other favorable NGV applications include:
- Refuse collection – there are nearly 4,000 refuse trucks nationwide. In New Jersey, Blue Diamond Disposal opened Morris County’s first CNG station to power its fleet.
- School buses – there are more than 3,000 operating across the nation.
- Airports – there are more than 35 airports across the United States operating NGVs in their own fleets and/or have policies encouraging the use of NGVs.
Medium and light duty vehicles account for many of the fleets in operation today. In all, there are more than 16,000 medium duty vehicles (airport shuttles and a variety of other applications) and more than 30,000 light duty vehicles in federal, state, local government and private fleets currently in operation.
Our NGV Advantage Consultants can help you determine which alternative fuel technologies best fit your needs and budget. They’ll guide you to possible state and federal incentives that can make the move to NGVs even more affordable. Read or print our brochure.
Get the NJNG NGV Advantage. Create a cleaner fleet. It’s the smart choice, the right time and the right fuel. Call our NGV Consultants today at 732-919-8000 or send an e-mail.