Skip to ContentSkip to Main Site NavigationSkip to Site Left NavigationSkip to Site Utility NavigationSkip to Site Quick LinksSkip to Site SearchSkip to Company Navigation

Appliance and Outdoor Grilling Safety

NJNG is a company with a safety-first culture for our employees and customers.

Natural gas is safe when it’s handled and used the right way.  When cooking, no matter the fuel type used, that means ensuring proper ventilation.


When using natural gas appliances, remember to keep the following in mind:

  • Never use your oven or range top to heat your home.
  • Natural gas fireplaces and space heaters are meant for added warmth, not a main source of heating. Remember to turn these appliances off before you go to bed or leave your home.
  • Your natural gas appliances should have a clear, steady blue flame. A yellow or orange flame may indicate a problem. Call for service right away if you think there’s a problem with your equipment. 
  • If you wish to insulate your natural gas water heater, please be sure to choose an insulation blanket manufactured specifically for natural gas water heaters.
  • Change the filter on your furnace a minimum  of every three months. Dust and pet hair can collect and block the air flow.
  • Never attach electrical grounding wires to natural gas piping inside or outside your house. Consult with a licensed electrician.
  • Keep the area around your furnace and water heater clear.

The American Gas Association has published a fact sheet on indoor air quality and residential gas ranges, available here.  We encourage our customers to review it for more information.

For safe outdoor cooking, remember to keep the following in mind:

  • Check grills before the first barbecue. Hoses and valves should be examined for cracks and leaks. Use a thin wire coat hanger to clean a clogged valve.
  • Install or place grills on level ground at least 20 feet away from a house or any other structure.
  • Make sure the area near the grill is free from combustible materials such as pine needles or leaves.
  • Never use a grill indoors or in any enclosed areas, including a garage, because dangerous carbon monoxide gas can accumulate to unhealthy levels.
  • When lighting a natural gas grill, always keep the lid open.
  • Always follow the manufacturer's instructions that accompany the grill.